Monday 25 March 2013

The Last Post on the Caledonian Canal


Waiting for the Off



Going....

The Skipper at the Starboard steering station. There is one on the port side as well-plus the bridge. The side positions are necessary for negotiating Mr Telfords' bendy canal


Past Caleys' cruisers




Our first swingbridge at Tomnahuich



 The Canal to Docgarroch Lock












We stayed the night here and awoke to a covering of snow. That'll teach me not to sleep on the roof.

A Scottish Dangler

Laying up for breakfast




Morning Campers!




Woman in tea cosy with drunk dog

I'm told this is what the bar looked like

Leaving Docgarroch and heading for Loch Ness




Loch Ness






 Urquhart Castle









An enforced stop at Fort Augustus-nay bother



us
A queue of fishing boats in front of 





The broken bridge that held us up for four hours and forced me to have a pint in the Bothy




 A trip round Loch Ness whilst the bridge is mended





My favourite picture of the week



My second favourite

Will it? Won't it?


Yippee-through the bridge and climbing F Augustus locks

 The Caledonian canal to Loch Oich








Cullochy Lock










 The Bridge of Oich where an old dog waits for Lord of the Glens to deliver his breakfast as he has done for years apparently. I think he sabotaged the last bridge to ponce more breakfast but I could be barking up the wrong tree.




RESULT!

entering Loch Oich





Another Swingbridge on way to Laggan





The Laggan Corridor-the narrowest part of the Caledonian






 Laggan lochs



The Eagle floating pub-closed at the moment I think-seaon not officially started





 Loch Lochy






Salmon Farming-I wonder where they get the seeds.....




If that cloud wasn't there you could see Ben Nevis










Deer

More deer


Oh Dear!

 Moored for the night at Kytra Lock. Beautiful place















and in the morning..more campers!




 Back to Fort Augustus











And heading home to Muirtown, Inverness for the last night. You can just see the head of the Lock Ness Monster in the bottom of the portlight

The next post will be from the Grand Union Canal in Hertfordshire.
Hope you enjoyed the stuff on the Caledonian.


No comments:

I know it's been a while and soooo many of you have asked when will I write another blog. My answer to both of them is here it is. My la...