Tuesday 7 January 2014

Into 2014

New Year's Eve.
Ady has joined me for the evening and we are going to Panther for scoff and silliness.
Such a spread of grub-we are so lucky-every taste is catered for and  there is so much we don't make it to the cheese board.
Roy and Annie are hosting the feast and Mac and Carrie (with Jasper the new Dog in their life) are in good form.













Plenty to eat and no shortage on the drink front either and retired hurt about 2 a m after a very pleasant evening.

2014
11 a.m.-A late awakening. Torrential rain and high winds.
Drip
Drip
Drip
Thud
The dreaded sound known to boaters over the ages. A leak.
7 saucepans full by 6p m. Nothing to be done till I can turn the boat round and address the problem. I have owned 6 boats over the years and they all had a leak. Some worse than others and despite best efforts to seal the buggers come the torrential rains similar to those we have now and in it comes. Not always the same place of course that would be too easy. No, same boat-different leaks-different places. This one is definitely through the chimney collar which I thought I'd fixed. Have to wait for a fine spell (dry and don't need the fire lit) and have the whole thing off.
In the meantime
drip
drip
drip
thud.
It could drive a lesser man mad. AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGH!

The day was cheered by a couple of shots from Pam skiing in Argentier with Joseph and Ollie who is working there. His chalet guests over the new year were Russian.  Very rich-one of them Mr Dropalotapopov, made his millions delivering lemonade.


Ollie and Joseph looking very cool
Photo: Me and ma boys !
Pam and her boys looking very happy

Pam looking v stylish


                                                     Me and Roy looking very stupid
all on New Years Day


As I indicated earlier the weather was atrocious and I was amazed to see a couple of blokes fishing off the marina bridge-they must have very unhappy home lives but even so they could go and sit in a bus shelter and have more fun. Anyway they aint meant to fish there a fact they wished to debate across the canal in the pouring rain which was not my ideal way of spending the first day of 2014. They left saying they had had a good day anyway so everybody's happy Except the poor bloody fish of course.
Roy and I were on our own New Years Day evening so a traditional curry was consumed along with a drop of beer and a sip of whisky out of the very nice Plimsoll Line glasses that Pam bought me for Christmas. Cheers Pam!

Friday and the hail it did haileth with exciting thunderstorm and giving Pam's garden a glacial appearance.
Saturday and it's still raining. The towpath is a quagmire. Note to self: Priority for mooring this year is to fix the path. 
Another note to self: When turning the boat round remember to disconnect the electric cable from the bank. I  was about a yard from the mooring when I realised. Fortunately no-one was watching so it's our little secret.

Off to Luton to collect Pam and Joseph both of whom look well and had a good week. A quiet drink and a curry in the evening. Very pleasant. Life returning to normal.....just my birthday on 13th but nobody remembers that.......Until then my friends

No comments:

I know it's been a while and soooo many of you have asked when will I write another blog. My answer to both of them is here it is. My la...