Sunday 29 April 2018




It's been a good couple of weeks with the odd exception too mundane to mention here. 
The first challenge was the 4 yearly inspection for the boat's safety certificate. Much tidying and checking before the inspector calls. All went well, thank God and 200 quid later we are certified safe for another 4 years. I doubt the same can be said of me.

We had a few days of very welcome sunshine which happily coincided with our St George's Bash on 21st April. Numbers were well down this year mainly because of ill health but all were in good spirits and enjoyed fish and chips without the usual wet, windy and cold conditions we normally get. Over 200 quid was raised without running an auction which whilst boring people to death does raise a lot of money-instead we had a table where people could place items for sale -it raised £23 and most of it was left unsold so the strategy needs tweeking

Angie's front garden and Pam's back garden-both showing Spring

I don't know either. Perhaps Annie was trying on a hat she might wear to the Royal Wedding?

after all she had an original way of wearing her rose


Pam and Nat were both in great form and soon with Joseph had shifted £140 worth of raffle tickets along with the odd celebratory glass





or barrel!
Then Roy decided to entertain us with his singing which was.....different




He's nothing to do with me....or my owlhat










Roy's bro Joe looks bemused-he obviously didn't appreciate what talent Roy has.


Max and Lesley enjoy their fish and chips. Lesley is the unsung hero(ine) of the mooring. Always a volunteer and willing to help in any way . And she's got plenty to do already. Still you know what they say if you want a job done give it to a busy man...or woman in this case. That's why nobody ever gives me anything to do.









Come nightfall and Roy welcomes a moment of prayer and contemplation with a Greek Orthodox priest-it must have worked as you can see the Holy Spirit just above his head and on the table.
The week after St George's contained the actual feast day, Monday 23rd though you'd never have known it round Berko way. I was the only eejit wearing a red rose that I saw all day. A couple of flags on public buildings and that was it. Very disappointing. Even my current local (on account of my first two being closed) which celebrated St Patrick's, St David's and the Chinese New Year with dinner evenings didn't bother. And they're called the George and Dragon. Funny old world but I think after spending at least the last 30 years trying to get a bit of enthusiasm for our patronal feast day it's time to stop being annoyed.

Another boat called Independence came through Cow Roast so I took a photo. And why not.

To end the week at Court Theatre Pendley and a performance of the Arabian Nights by the Berkhamsted Youth Theatre. We were there of course because Joseph was playing the King and very good he was too. Of course I'm biased but not half as much as one very proud grandmother



As I write this the crap weather has returned. The heating is back on the boat which is rocking in the wind. It's cold. It's wet and it's April 29th. The forecast is bad. How did we get away with St George's in the sun? Amazing.


No comments:

I know it's been a while and soooo many of you have asked when will I write another blog. My answer to both of them is here it is. My la...