Friday 5 December 2014

The first week of Advent

Last weekend saw the birthday of friend, Trevor, and a party at Lynn and Trevor's house in Denham. I was determined to go and very glad I did. I was looked after right royally and sat, drink replenished frequently and hit the sack about 4 a m. having tried various of Trevors' single malts. The things I do for people.
A lovely evening with lovely people. We stayed overnight and I rose at the crack of 10 30 feeling better than I deserved.
Happy Birthday Trevor!!


























Christmas is Coming!


The tension is rising.
Just 48 hours till the Cowroast Boaters' Christmas Gathering and my mind is pre-occupied with my state of health. Nothing unusual in that. As a self confessed practising hypochondriac of over 60 Summers rarely a day passes that this mortal frame doesn't find something wrong with it. Or should I say Him. Hyperchondria does seem to be a hobby for the male of the species which could mean of course that we do actually get more stuff wrong with us. We certainly fall of the twig earlier. Allegedly this is because past a certain age we are no good at hunter gathering or procreating and can be dispensed with whilst the female of the species is still handy for rearing, caring and looking after the garden. Combined with the indidsputable fact that men abuse themselves -no not like that- by overindulgence in everything from food to foolishness and an early demise is guaranteed. Oh and we hate going to the doctors which is silly if you're a proper hypochondriac cos what's the point of thinking you're ill if you don't trouble the quack to be told you're not. No. Blokes don't go to the doctor for fear of being told there is something wrong. If nobody tells you you're ill then QED you're not.

My knee and my back are competing with one another to see who can stop me boating down to Marsworth on Saturday for the party. I have crew in the form of Ady (A level lockworking) and Geoff (waiting for a new hip) so all I have to do is stand on the back and shout which to be fair is all I normally do when I'm fit. However the current affliction doesn't like standing so we shall see.

Plans are going well for the do-the guests are primed to bring raffle prizes and tinned goods for our Homeless Appeal . Nearly 40 people ready to rock. All I need is for this bloody knee etc............and to get an haircut.


During my period of incapacity which is over 8 weeks (as opposed to my period of incapability which has lasted in excess of 60 years) I have got rather scruffy in the locks area so I ventured into downtown Berkhamsted to have my luxuriant tresses styled by the Barber opposite the launderette thus allowing me to catch up on my laundry, get an haircut and pen the following whilst waitng on the drier. 
What a sad case I am.
'
"Sat in the launderette
       for just over three pound
Me smalls and me duvet go round and round
This laundrette is handy cos over the road
Is the barber's so handy while I'm washing this load.
And as I aint  much to cut and to blow
I'm soon back  to the drier at 2 quid a go.
If my hair gets much thinner
There's a bonus methinks
I'll have time for the haircut, the washing
And  drinks!"

From the Grime of the Ancient Mariner.

The process of deciding on presents and writing cards is under way though traditionally I wait till the Boaters' do is over before swinging into real Yoolishness. I then get so excited I'm in danger of hyperadventillating.
The first lot of cards are for those coming on Saturday saving an amazing £10.45 in postage! Sweet.

As for presents I've nearly done it all thanks to the internet which seems very efficient with the exception of UPS who seem capable of delivering my stuff to every address in Berko except the right one.

But before the Boaters' party, the cards, the presents the jollity and the hangovers there is the small matter this evening (Friday) of Fulham v Watford. By the time you delete this post before reading you may well know the result. Please God.....just for me.....Oh There's Only One "F" in Fulham

Next blog.............CHRISTMAS!!!!
Yippee!

Cheers

Mike

STOP PRESS
As of yesterday (Thursday) the Cowroast Inn has a new tenant/publican!Watch this space.

No comments:

I know it's been a while and soooo many of you have asked when will I write another blog. My answer to both of them is here it is. My la...