Monday 3 November 2014

Future to the Back


Autumn colours abound. I was particularly taken with the tree next to the little work men's hut by Cowroast lock.I haven't been to the boat much of late thanks to the back (of which more later) but was lucky enough to have the camera with me for a brief visit snapping the tree and viewing the work which has commenced to the bridge to repair the parapets and titivate the railings. All much needed to restore the Cowroast Lock area to its former glory.





When I say its next to the little Workman's hut I don't mean a hut for little workmen......it is just a little hut used by CaRT employees of all sizes and shapes

The walls of the parapets are in rather poor nick but as the bridge was built in 1914 it is fitting to renovate it this year. Quite probably some the men who built it, no matter what shape or size, were dead within the next four years.









The back continues to cause concern with lots of pain and foul language. Off to the quack again next week as progress is imperceptively slow and walking and standing are off the agenda......most of the time. Though just like when you call the tv repair man the bally tv behaves perfectly so it is with backs. Last week we spent time in Kent visiting Caz, Phillip and Florence. We stayed in a cottage in Rodmersham Green near Faversham where they live. Most of the time the back was rubbish but on the day we visited Whitstable I was able to walk for some distance totally pain free.Inexplicable. And extremely frustrating.

Pam, Joseph and I arrived on the Tuesday and in the evening with Caz, Phillip and Florence went to the Three Mariners at Oare for an excellent dinner. I had spiced whitebait followed by skate wings both wonderful and a place well worth a return visit. 

www.thethreemarinersoare.co.uk/

On Wednesday whilst Pam and Joseph laboured in Caz's back garden I did some shopping for dinner and had a ride down to look at the Thames barges on Faversham Creek. Unfortunately it was a foul day for looking, photography, walking....and gardening and so I vowed to return when the gods are on my side (rather than in my ****ing back)



Standard Quay




I returned to Rodmersham and rested up till the gang returned. After a drink in the local, the Fruiterer's Arms, Joseph cooked fahitas for dinner and very good they were too.
Candy Cottage-our Rodmersham home for a few days


 Pre-fahita drinks in the Fuiterers Arms

With Phillip, Joe, Pam, Caz and a disappering Florence


these fahitas are definitely faheating


The Fruiterer's Arms-at least 40 feet away from home



The following day we collected Florence and went to Whitstable. Such fun. Such wonderful weather for the end of October. Such a lovely, interesting place.
We had a marvellous time with a walk along the coast to the Old Neptune pub ( an establishment I wish to revisit when carless). The back was pretty grotty going but the walk back was brilliant. 



























A rare sighting of a Kentish Crumbsnuffler





After the walk we stopped in the fish market where the others had fish or scampi with chips and I luxuriated in a bowl of cockles much to the disgust of both Joseph and Florence. Children are so unlucky to grow up in a world void of shellfish.
Florence does not like either cockles or the smell of a fish market!









Grandma and Florence tackle the scampi







My new chum


The Fish Market







That evening we dined at the Fruiterer's Arms where I had salmon to complete a fishy few days. I also decided the back needed dousing in alcohol and got a little squiffy. It did the back no good at all but i felt better for a while. A good day
The Friday saw us back in Herts after a sunny drive home.


I mentioned last time the problem with wasps. By careful observation (in that, because of the sodding back I had nothing better to do) I established that the wasps were coming, slowly, one at a time from the fireplace. Their intention was to get to the window and what they perceived as the outside world. Many made it no further then the intervening carpet or died on the window sill. The lucky ones arrived at the window when Pam was in Bhuddist mode and let them out to whatever fate awaited. A bit like the illegals hovering in Calais waiting for a gap in security 
Joseph and I on one of his visits to the Sick of the Parish (me-thanks Joe-much appreciated) were discussing the age old question of what use are wasps. We had a look at what the internet world had to offer and the main benefit seemed to be that they cleared away the bodies of other dead insects. Well, what are the local council for-why do we need sodding wasps. And then, Eureka! 
 What are they really good for? 
Wine-making, for one thing. Scientists say that wine drinkers can thank wasps and hornets for the complex aroma and taste of their favourite vino,  The insects help by biting grapes on the vine and leaving behind yeast from their guts that spurs fermentation. This is partly why winemakers have planted flowers near their vines since Roman times—to attract various insects.
Anyway they got despatched on Friday by the wasp man who found a gap in the chimney and discombobulated the blighters.
Next week if I can make some progress with my back then I'll return to the boat. If not then the next posting will be another one about me banging on about my back. Your prayers please gentle people.

No comments:

I know it's been a while and soooo many of you have asked when will I write another blog. My answer to both of them is here it is. My la...