Tuesday 12 August 2014

Life is Just a Bowl of Cherries


Indeed life is just a bowl of cherries as the old song goes with birthdays galore, barbecues and generally glorious weather.


Off to the tip
But first don't take a fence which is what I'm doing here. The new one is due very soon so watch this space.
Ideally it would have arrived in time for Pam's birthday but there was plenty to do without new fences arriving.


Pam's Birthday.


Unusually we had rain-and quite a lot of it so the barbecue arrangements included a new gazebo which paid for itself in 20 minutes.
Fortunately the heavy showers abated once the jollities were under way and the hard work put in by Pam, Ollie and Joseph and everybody was rewarded.









The birthday girl.





















The day was adjudged a major success and the food, company and the odd drink made it so.
Happy Birthday Pam.

Brother Jim's Birthday

The following day it was off to Harlow to celebrate big brother Jim's 80th.
Another splendid affair despite the M11 making sure I got there an hour and half late.It was the second time this year that Moira, Jimmy and I were together for a celebration and the second time this year that I failed to take a photo of the event....If anyone has one of the three of us please let me have it.
Jimmy made a very touching speech and I said a few words. This year I have spoken at a joint 70th and now an 80th so if anyone is coming up 90 I'm available.....I also do Barmitzvahs
Jim's wife Mary and her team did a grand organisational and catering job and the day went well.






















------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Monday 4th August

The Monday saw the hundredth anniversary of the outbreak of the First World War and Pam and I took our lights to the vigil at St Peter's Church in Berkhamsted returning via the Lamb which was in darkness apart from one light and a few candles. It was noteworthy that with the exception of the High Street pubs no other bugger observed the request to leave just one light burning but well done the Lamb. 

I've been looking at an old guide to the 14-18 military cemeteries for Ypres. The guide belonged to my grandfather who had acquired it during a visit with my father after the First World War to see the grave of his son, Herbert, one of twins and my father's eldest brother who was killed aged 17 and is now buried in the Woburn Cemetery near Givenchy. Such tragedy. Well worth a small token gesture by the good shopkeepers of Berko. Sadly it seems it was only those dens of iniquity, the pubs, that did the right thing.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


Lynn and Trevor-Happy Anniversary

Tuesday and the mood has lightened considerably. Lynn and Trevor are in Berkhamsted and phone to say they are dining at Carluccio's.  The original plan was to join them for a drink but by the time we reached the restaurant we'd decided to dine with them whether they liked the idea or not. It transpired they were celebrating their 38th wedding anniversary on the Thursday and were in a jolly mode. I think it was 38 but by the time I got this info my hearing was a bit slurred. It was a grand evening full of the kind of conversation I enjoy. Total rubbish. 
Splendid. Once again good company, good food, a drop of happy juice and a joyous anniversary. 










Goodnight Young Lovers
I appear to have a hand growing on my head




So a good week with every day another cherry.....off to the theatre tonight then hols on Thursday. Mind you the boat aint ready and the car is in the wrong place and me knees are giving me grief.... Life is just a bowl  di da di....(in 4/4 time) but there's a few pips as well.

Leicestershire he we come-I hope.



















No comments:

I know it's been a while and soooo many of you have asked when will I write another blog. My answer to both of them is here it is. My la...