Friday 1 November 2013

Monday 28th.
The worst storm since the last one. We were promised  the total removal of anyone weighing less than 10 stone. the eradication of every tree in South East England and those of us weightier people who did survive would awake somewhere in Cambridgeshire carried there by a wind so strong that that the UK would be rejoined to mainland Europe.  It was a bit wet and windy further south and the odd bit of fencing went walkabout locally but peering through my porthole everything seems to be where it was before. I appreciated the warning though-I was involved in the aftermath of the '87 storm so know what the damage can be like and what precautions can be taken if sufficient warning is given
Most of the trees still seem to be in leaf which is good because Autumn is such a lovely season on Tring Summit and the longer it lasts the better.

I don't seem to be making much progress with my Autumn chores however. I still haven't got the central heating working-mainly because it's such a messy job I want a totally clear day with no other commitments, a complete set of disposable clothing and both knees in some sort of working order. At the time of writing I only have the clothing-all my clothing is disposable-but in truth I just hate doing the bloody job. The mooring still looks a tip as does the inside of the shed but they can wait till the sun comes out. Anyway I've got excuses, as always,as today (Monday) I am giving someone a lift to hospital, tomorrow I have a meeting (over lunch) about my 40th anniversary trip to Norfolk and on Wednesday I am at the dentist. Don't worry I'll find something else for Thursday and Friday to make sure I don't do any of the jobs on my Autumn List which for your information is published here.

The Mooring doesn't look too bad here but believe me-it's a tip.
Central heating-service boiler
Clear shed
clear mooring
fix leaks round two chimneys
clear boatmans and put mattressing in store
paint front well (or badly depending on mood-ho ho)
Fit cratch cover
build bookcase and hang new pictures
organise Christmas Do
                                                                                        stop inventing jobs

One thing I have achieved is the acquisition of a lovely, comfy, leather chair which is the perfect size both for the boat and my ample curtilage




Perhaps I'll sit in it for 10 minutes whilst the fire gets going and have another look at my list.




Tuesday 29th.
A brighter day all round but colder so fire lit and logs, coal etc. ready.
Heard from Jim H who is moving Pacific for John P from Braunston to Watford that he is delayed at Leighton Buzzard by a tree across the cut. CaRT not yet got a conractor on the case but to be fair they are probably busy (the contractors, not CaRT) with more pressing matters as like Barclays they have branches everywhere. Certainly on my drive back from Watford General yesterday on the country route I was surprised at how many trees were down and roads flooded.

Wed 30th
A glorious Autumn morning spoiled only by the prospect of a visit to the dentist down in Harrow. Reports say the tree in Leighton Buzzard has been removed so Jim and Sue should be back sometime today .
Dentist 10/10

Jim and Sue are back but because of the delay caused by trees across the canal in L Buzzard are leaving the boat here for a while.

And now for some really good news!
You remember, of course, that whilst I was returning from Wales I lost my Hat to the wind somewhere between Calcutt and Braunston. I'm sure you do and believe me I have been comforted  not only by your prayers for my loss but the knowledge that so many of you will have driven up that way to see if you can find it. Most kind.
Anyway fear not. Look no further. The hat bearing the title Tug Master was a present from Mac and Carrie on the Griffin from their last trip to Australia, an island off New Zealand and famous for spiders that will bite your bum when you're sat on the loo-very expensive in pet shops, cheaper on the web.


 On Thursday I was summoned to Dodge Mansions and presented with a replacement! All the way from Australia! Organised by Mac and Carrie through Peter Howe and his lady wife,G(loria), who apparently trecked through the Outback, fighting off bum-biting spiders, to various Charity Shops and found another Tug Master Hat. I am ecstatic and exceedingly grateful. I wore it in bed last night which meant I was totally protected against the ghouls of Halloween and had a warm head. Marvellous surprise. Thank you everybody.
 


 And here it is. Don't I look smart!
Until the next time mes amis..............

No comments:

I know it's been a while and soooo many of you have asked when will I write another blog. My answer to both of them is here it is. My la...