Saturday 8 June 2019


COWROAST CHRONIC(le)
Welcome to the latest (shortish)issue of the Cowroast Chronicle.
Various matters of no importance have occupied my mind (very limited space available) and one matter of major importance and much rejoicing. So significant in fact that I've dedicated a separate blogpost to it which will shortly follow this garbage. 

Last time I raised the question of whether or not waving at one another on the canal was waning and promised to conduct an in depth survey. 
Here it is.
No of boats observed passing through Cowroast:  28
Of which hire boats were                                               7
and therefor privately owned were                            21
Of the hire boats I waved at the number
 that acknowledged my existence was                         7
Of the other 21                                                                14

So 100% of hire boaters and two thirds of privates acknowledged including one scruffy boater on a scruffy boat who enquired of his companion "Who's that fat idiot waving at?" This upset me, not because of the sentiment expressed but the fact that he should, of course. have enquired "at whom is that fat idiot waving?" but grammar aint wot it used to be with even the BBC assaulting our ears with split infinitives and other heinous crimes.

Anyway, if you're passing and see me waving please wave back.



No. I'm not waving here or doing an impersonation of Adolf.
I'm giving a talk to a group of walkers about Gas Two locks in Berkhamsted and indicating where the gasholder used to be.

Pam conned me into this and I was surprisingly nervous with my legs shaking like jelly but I got through it and the audience seemed appreciative....or  were just being polite Berkhamstedians.



The Gasworks owned by the grandly named Great Berkhamsted Gas, Light and Coke Co. were originally sited behind the current Tescos (1849 till 1906), their purpose being to provide street lighting to the town which it did till the late 50s when Berko got that new electrickery lighting. Its deliveries of coal were by canal, via Castle Wharf, the gas company despatching crude tar products to the London area in return. 

 In 1906 the gas works moved to the triangle of land by locks 51 and 52, coal then being delivered via a short access line from the railway sidings (now Berko station attractive car park). Initially a horse pulling 5 trucks was used, Ruby being the longest serving of the horses. Ruby was eventually replaced by a small diesel engine. A small tunnel under the railway still exists as does some of the track.

Officially named Northchurch Locks No 51 and 52 over the next 50 years these locks became known to boaters as Gas Two
The Gasworks works operated until the 1959 with the gas holders remaining until the 70s when replaced by the current industrial estate. .
On opposite side of the canal part of what is the new housing estate was occupied by a Timber yard set up by Job East and subsequently run by his sons. This large site was involved in all sorts of building works but most importantly  in 1932 they won the contract to make and supply 202 lock gates on the Grand Union Canal.
The site closed in the 80s and one of the houses, which we think was the Pay Office is now owned by Pam.

Back at Cowroast I haven't made much progress on the repaint job but I have a nice garden.



The gnome, one of many acquired at auction as a job lot years ago (I was bidding on a trolley and they were the sitting tenants) is called Boris. He is meant to be holding a fishing rod but its absence makes him look somewhat onanistic so he's aptly named.


Now his best buddy Trump has let the cat out of the bag as regards selling off chunks of the NHS to the yanks or any of Boris's Old Etonian mates. When will the people of this country stop worrying about nonsense like leaving Europe and get serious about protecting one of the finest remaining parts of British society -the National Health Service? 
When it's too bloody late. That's when. They did it to the Post Office, the Housing stock, the rail, gas and water industries. And they'll do it to the NHS and we'll still be arguing about sodding Brexit. 

I am so sorry about that-starting a sentence with "And" I mean.

=====================================================================
Here's a lovely aerial picture of the lock at Cow Roast-taken by a gent from https://www.facebook.com/astonhousephotography/





We found this moorhen chick struggling in the canal and squeaking for help. Dan, one of our community got it out and we kept a watchful eye on him/her to make sure no predators - including sodding dogs that should be on leads- dealt him/ her the coup de grace. I went to tell the mother but my Moorhennish isn't fluent and she just looked at me blankly and jumped in the water rather than go and tend to her offspring.. Whether the chick survived to swim again we know not but we did our best.







The heron is very democratic. It isn't at all selective or prejudiced. It will crap on anybody's boat without fear or favour. Hector knows no fear, doesn't fly off as you approach and will happily pose for photographs. I am fascinated by him. You might say I was a heron addict......but you probably wouldn't.

As mentioned above the garden is coming along nicely on the mooring and has occupied time that should have been spent doing other more important things like painting. Except of course that June has turned out to be rather damp so whilst I am poised to paint I remain mid-poise, paintless brush in hand. Pointless.



I know this will surprise you but I did a rather silly thing this week. I was powerhosing the side and roof of "Independence" to remove dirt, leaves and heron poo prior to not painting and thought to myself while I have the powerhose out I can water the garden, it not having rained for nearly an hour.
So I turned intending to drop a spray of water, as if from the sky onto my display and instead blew the petals off petunias, geraniums, pansies and any other poor sod who got in the way. It even blew my fat balls into the trees behind-never an enjoyable experience! Fortunately the following day little damage was apparent with the ever resilient flowers bouncing back in bloom- My balls however had gone without trace. Hey ho life can be hard, for moorhen and moron alike. 

Time for breakfast so until the Special Bulletin a bientot.

No comments:

I know it's been a while and soooo many of you have asked when will I write another blog. My answer to both of them is here it is. My la...