Monday 18 March 2019


Morning All,
It's been a while and both my readers have said how much they've appreciated not being pestered with that eejit's blog  missed the blog.
Anyway I've been busy since my last post in early Feb and can now bore you with the details.
Goodnight

A Valentine's lunch at the Duck in the Pond in Harrow with former work colleagues, Liz, Bob and Jo....well it wasn't a romantic tryst it just happened to be 14th Feb



We spent a very enjoyable and sober couple of hours reminiscing about some of the twassocks we'd dealt with over the years + a few good sorts but the twassocks won by a long way. All most enjoyable and grand to see these  three in such good form. We hope to do it again with a few more from the "old days" which would be good.

On the home front the Canal and River Trust have been providing new lock gates at Cow Roast-quite some undertaking which meant navigation was closed for a month in all as the Dudswell lock below was done as well. There was a 2 day window in the middle (Between finishing Cowroast and staring Dudswell) and friend Roy used that gap to move Panther to Watford for some steelwork



A Big Job.
Well done

You will no doubt recall (of course you don't-we both know that but it's the conventionally polite thing to say)  that in the last blog I had a whinge about the new horrid blue sign affixed in December to the lock gates and cut in half when the old gates were removed in February. Well interestingly they have been replaced with the old style, less obtrusive sign shown here


Old signs for New!

I wonder if this is just to please us moaners at Cow Roast.....nah, course not. It must be a decision to phase out the horrid blue signs and replace with the old ones across the system. The change of logo or "rebranding" has certainly turned this boater off contributing anything to the Trust other than when legally obliged.
I have received notice that the fees are going up in excess of inflation and not a penny can we get spent on our now virtually non-existent path.

I quote from last August's blog

As I listen to the welcome rain
And indeed it is apourinìg
My thoughts are on our path again
That runs along our mooring
CART can't fix it though it's  bust
And bits of it are "No go"
They have no money at the Trust
Except for a brand new logo
So as we wade up to the gate
Thru mud that is hard to stand in
For a safe sound path we're pleased to wait
Cos we'd much rather have rebrandin.





=============================================================
Ollie and Joe joined us for curry- a takeaway from the excellent Akash.





And Italian at the recently opened Per Tutti in Berko. Very good.



And I discovered a new way of making Irn Bru


The country, or more correctly, its political masters, continue to make a complete balls of things to the extent that even I would settle for yet another Royal Wedding if it kept the B word off the front page.


To Somerset, a town called Somerton and a cottage called Cow Cottage in Cow Square. Booked for a fortnight and stayed an extra day. Lovely place to stay-everything I needed and only 3 minutes to the pub. 
The stay is part of my  "Don't spend the whole Winter on the Boat" campaign aimed at breaking up the Winter and avoiding snow, ice, frozen waterpoints and a totally crappy footpath.....and do some work on the book I am attempting to write.The only downside was that I'd mistimed my break so I missed Caz's birthday but I suspect it wasn't my sort of do most of those attending having a pulse.
Ady joned me for the first few days and the weather was glorious. with two visits to the seaside Lyme Regis and Watchet nr Minehead. Indeed in Lyme Regis we hit 70 degrees and strolled along the prom in shirtsleeves.(It is a not very well known fact that L Regis is the only seafront to wear shirtsleeves)


The Church of St Michael which neighbours Cow Cottage
Sunning myself on the seafront, Feb 25th!





There's even one silly sod in the sea!


To Watchet on the opposite coast from L Regis and the delightful harbour where stands a sculpture to the Rime of the Ancient Mariner. Samuel Coleridge Taylor lived nearby.


No. That's not the sculpture-that's Ady

That's the sculpture
He's carrying the albatross but it looks rude to me.
I was amused by this example of stating the bloody obvious


To MontacuteHouse a NT Elizabethan House in the village of that name.









A WibblyWobbly Hedge
A giant Elizabethan clothes peg.

and the resident Elizabethan cat

Roy arrived on the Monday of the second week and we had a few tinctures in the White Hart before a splendid (although I say it myself) giant Cottage Pie My plan was to save some and freeze it but that plan didn't work.

Before and after pictures show how much Roy can eat with help from your humble servant.

on Tuesday off we went to Watchet for lunch and visit the Ancient Mariner again.
Unfortunately I also collected a speeding fine doing 38 through some place called Henlade nr Taunton so that was 100 quid and three points worse off. I must have thought it was a 40 limit.
Bastards.


Back to Somerton and dinner at the White Hart which was excellent. Roast Pork with Lentils and Celeriac accompanied by a very fine Portuguese Red which Roy kindly paid for.

Judging by the pictures he enjoyed the wine quite a lot but actually he's stopping the table from wobbling. Honest.

Pam arrived on the Wednesday, en route to Newquay to help Nat (who is having surgery on her ACL on Friday-all went well thank you). We went to the White Hart for dinner and as it was Ash Wednesday I had an excellent Mackerel dish and we shared a bottle of Gavi.

The Butter Cross, Somerton
where the market is held



St Michael's Church


Cow Square
Somerton War Memorial

Two meals in two days at the White Hart, Somerton. Both excellent-I'm a lucky boy. https://whitehartsomerton.com/


I did actually manage to add 10000 words to the book but being a serial editor I also knocked a couple of thousand out. Progress.
Cheers
I was on my own Thursday, Friday and as I was going to be on my own back at Cowroast I decided to stay Sat night as well. All very pleasant.

So to finish it's congrats to Caz on her meaningful birthday on 28th Feb and best wishes to Natalie on her recovery.Oh and to Ollie for being a damn nice chap



PS:In case anybody doesn't know the Rime of the Ancient Mariner it's here. 
https://www.poetryfoundation.org/poems/43997/the-rime-of-the-ancient-mariner-text-of-1834
Pour yourself a large scotch and enjoy

Back to Cow Roast and now the Heineken owners have given up trying to find a tenant and put the pub up for sale so that's probably the end of that pub. Private house, Indian restaurant, who knows, but at 475k +VAT it's cheap coming with over 2 acres-or is it? The building requires so much work and many planning restrictions on the building and the land that anyone with say 600k to spare will soon find somewhere better to invest their dosh.What a shame the former owners Punch made such a foul up of the place. My idea is a joint venture between English Heritage, Heineken and the local community. Get the archaeological buggers digging and turn it into a Visitors' Centre a la St Albans plus a bistro/bar and a creche/playschool. Turn the outhouse into 2/3 bedrooms for walkers on Ridgeway. Trouble is I'm 599k short.


My Birthday (13th January) is now over. This weekend we went to see the excellent Absurd Person Singular by Alan Ayckbourn at the Palace Watford. The tickets were part of my present from Pam and it was a good choice. We were still quoting bits of it over today's Sunday Roast which was yummy. 
Have a good week everybody.

No comments:

I know it's been a while and soooo many of you have asked when will I write another blog. My answer to both of them is here it is. My la...