Wednesday 1 April 2015

Out like a Lion....

Blowing out the cobwebs!
So some damn fool who shall remain nameless suggested a weekend run down to Marsworth, dinner in the Red Lion and back again to the Grand Junction for their Sunday Quiz. Good idea, The wind started blowing on the Friday and I thought "this could be exciting" little realising that this was the warm up act for Saturday. And then came Sunday!
Well it is meant to be Spring!
The wind is for me the bit that boaters hate the most -with the possible exception of ice on the locksides. You can take a drenching as long as you have a warm boat and a change of gear but a bad attack of wind can leave you out of control of your destiny and heading where you do not want to go.
When I suggested this jaunt (Yes dear reader I was that idiot) I was working on the adage that March "comes in like a lion and out like a lamb" It was, in fact, the other way round. Seven locks to Marsworth with some of our company (six boats in all) turning at the junction with the Aylesbury Arm and others (myself included) going one further lock down to the Maffers Two where there is space to wind. Ady and I on Independence travelled down with Roy and Annie on Panther and an exciting ride it was
Friday and Mac and Carrie on the Griffin are off early.


Saturday lunchtime. Where's everybody gone? Lots of gaps on the moorings indicate there are lots of idiots off to Marsworth

Ready for the off.
Before we go Roy has the important task of thunderboxing which he does with a kindly demeanour and a cheeky grin.

Four down three to go
Winding at Maffers
and very windy it was.


Everybody made it safe and sound and adjourned to the Red Lion where a libation was enjoyed before fourteen boaters sat down to dinner. Quite a few libations actually which aided conversation amongst a normally shy and timid gathering.


David demonstrates to Jo and Ady how to avoid the paparazzi






No. It's not a speech-
I'm trying to work out the bill













Sunday morning and it's blowing like billio at the bottom of the flight.
Jan and Budgie (Venose), Sue and Jim(Owl) Jo and Tim (Hampton) and Carrie and Mac (The Griffin) have already set off. Good luck everybody



The first three pounds were very exposed and the boats were tacking in the wind. It was a matter of throttle open until the last moment before entering the locks and then trust in God
There be white water on the reservoir!

and Annie smells something fishy
The Cowroastafarian Quiz team
We all made it more or less in one piece but I think my name is mud on the Griffin as sadly they lost various bits of china and suffered some damage to the stove pipe but were recovered sufficiently to take part in the quiz at the Grand Junction and help us into fourth place.

The Griffin heads back to Cow Roast
I moored south of the pub -as expected the weather really kicked off at the moment we moored with rain, hail, wind, frogs, locusts...every bloody thing nature could throw at us.


The Grand Junction-a welcome haven


Who forgot to bring his boots in on Saturday night?
The same eejit as suggested the trip in the first place.




I can guarantee that there are definitely no cobwebs left anywhere!

Next jolly is St George on the Moorings on Sunday 26th April. I bet you can't wait.
This ghostly mandarin was avoiding my camera back at Cow Roast
Here's a new word for you. I know I suffer from it. I expect you do too. If you don't you will soon....
Always watching... by Anatidaephobia-Duck

Until next time.......enjoy Easter.

No comments:

I know it's been a while and soooo many of you have asked when will I write another blog. My answer to both of them is here it is. My la...