Wednesday 11 December 2013

CHRISTMAS IS COMING

Time to prepare for the Cowroast Lock Moorers' Christmas Gathering which will be held on Saturday 7th December at a venue not far away......

This do is always on the 1st Saturday in Advent and marks the opening of the Christmas social scene for most of the boaters I know. It also marks the end as they don't get invited anywhere else which is understandable.
 Before then I plan to decorate both the boat and the shed and am indulging in the annual ritual known as "These Lights were ****ing Working Alright Last Year!".
I have found the lights for the shed and by the skilled application of grey tape and knicker elastic have got them working though yet to erect.

No! ..............My tree is missing. As tasteful a piece of 5 quid tat as ever left Tesco but it is the right height for inside the boat and came with 12 volt lighting attached. And I could put it up myself which is a painful yet festive thing to do.
(Do you know about the proctologist who got bored on holiday and decided to look up some old friends?) Anyway I digress.
I shall have one last look tomorrow and if no success will pine no longer and buy another Christmas Tree..

Thursday and the Official Switching on of the Independence Mooring Christmas Lights was done by Norman the world famous Gnome though he had to be lifted up to do it. He was worried about them shorting out but that's a perennial gnomic worry. I had hoped to get the very talented One Erection but Norman said he'd do it for nothing.

Afterwards Norman and I sang Silent Night very loudly and treated ourselves to a mince pie though Norman being the s....elfish little bugger he is said he wanted shortbread. And he prefers Wee Three Kings cos he thinks it's about Elfred the Great, Elfered the Unready and William the Dwarf from all of whom he claims some descendency. Anyway the lights look good to me and the chap moored opposite approves so everybody that matters is happy.


The missing tree turned ip today. Exactly 24 hours after I'd splashed out on a new one.


The weather forecast is a bit alarmist which seems to be normal these days with every seasonal change being heralded as the worst.......since records etc. I only have one rule that I'm sticking to this year and that is if the canal is iced over I aint taking my boat to the party. The British Waterways Board used to have icebreakers who not only sorted the canal out when froze but would also go to parties throughout the year introducing people to one another.
I bought some more raffle prizes today. People are very generous in supplying same but I thought this year I would do a Hamper containing various goodies in the hope of selling more tickets to raise funds for the Hospice of St Francis, Berkhamsted. The whole affair is coming together nicely and the weather forecast is promising.
Saturday
We set off later than planned to travel to Marsworth. There are reasons for this delay. One of them is called Roy.  Another is called a very fine bottle of Dalwhinnie. A third was a very good curry in the Akash last night after drinks in the Lamb with Pam. A very pleasant evening/morning.

Anyway we got going about midday and here you see one of Santa's little helpers letting go for'ard. It's when he lets go back'ard you have to worry.
Before Tring Station bridge there is a bend where the canal shallows and the trees overhang the cut. I have always called this Kingfisher bend for obvious reasons and today was a real treat. Roy called me up on the radio (he was in front on Panther) to say there was a kingfisher posing on a branch so I got the camera ready and slowed down to a crawl. This beauty was facing me as I came up to his spot and turned round as I passed. Not the best quality of photo but it's never easy when you're trying to take a photo whilst steering the boat with the tiller arm wedged between the cheeks of you stern end. Anyway it was a delight to see this most beautiful of birds out in the December sunshine.

Every one of the seven locks down to Marsworth was against us so progress was comparatively slow with only one, albeit expert, crew member. Well done Ady.
The weather was with us all the way-two years ago we did it through ice and it was "challenging". At Marsworth we wanted to moor past the junction with the Aylesbury arm so we decided to turn one boat (Panther) and tow her backward to the mooring which worked very well especially as there was space for only one boat before the Vicarage Road (Red Lion ) Bridge.

The evening went well. 38 turned up and  it was a very convivial get together. The grub was good, the raffle prizes were plentiful and of a high standard and we had an impromptu auction of a Buckby can and dipper by Ron Hough for which one of our company generously coughed up 105 quid.
A total of 466 pounds was raised in the evening
 This brings the total for the year raised to £882** for the hospice and £200 for the
School in Gulu, Uganda (which Pam visited in March. )


Additionally Chris and Gill Weber donated 25 pounds as part of gifts made to mark their 40th Wedding Anniversary. 
**This figure is likely to be adjusted upwards as I have spare boxes of Christmas Crackers to sell.
 The Red Lion did a very good job on the food and the pub was very festive in its decoration.
The raffle which normally seems to last forever went much faster this year with Pam selling 226 quids worth of tickets.
I was very pleased with the whole event and even won a bottle of Barolo-my favourite.
I hope to return to Marsworth and the Red Lion for New Year but let's not get ahead of ourselves. If you want to know what makes God laugh you tell him your plans .
I don't know much about canal art (actually I don't know much about anything) but apparently the Ron Hough mentioned above as having painted the Buckby can is the DB's in the world of Roses and Castles.

Auction Time

 
 

The evening closed with a rendition of Goodnight Irene but as I was the only one that heard it and I was the only one singing it  there is no need to mention it.
Back to the boats in good order and apart from a flat battery and hence no lights on Independence a sound nights sleep beckoned.
The morning came suddenly but apart from a little fuzziness in the cerebellum I was up and churched by
Roy takes me through the bridgehole (Ooooh Matron!)
9. 30 pm and ready to move by 11ish. Roy expertly towed me back through the bridge to the junction with the Aylesbury Arm and we set off back up the seven locks to Bulbourne. Progress faster because we have Annie with us and it makes a big difference. We were accompanied by Santa Claus all the way much to the delight of all children and some fishermen. Unfortunately the sun was shining directly inot our eyes so Santa adopted a pair of dark glasses which gave him the look of a cross between a Mafia boss and a Jihadist.

Some fishermen responded positively with the cheery banter for which they are famed. Especially today when according to most they had caught nothing (I paraphrase) and could Santa either go away or send some fish (Again I paraphrase) Such fun.

Chris on Eulalie tows Ian and Maureen on Tamora back to the Aylesbury Arm junction before they return to Aylesbury, the Mecca of Bucks. He seems to know what he's doing. It's a shame that as the years go but fewer boats come down for the Gathering. Maybe we ought to organise a mini rally in the Spring.......
Sweet as a nut

Ho Ho Ho
Annie and Roy peer into the sun before releasing Independence to turn for home 




All safely back at Cowroast and feeling pleased with the outcome of a very enjoyable weekend. If the rest of Christmas goes as well then I shall be a very happy chappy.

Thanks to everybody for making it such an enjoyable and profitable gathering. 
Until next time.......


No comments:

I know it's been a while and soooo many of you have asked when will I write another blog. My answer to both of them is here it is. My la...